Thursday, February 2, 2017

Getting ready for the new season

I've been tying flies:


I've entered the Otter Creek Classic opening weekend fly fishing tournament.  I've bought tickets to the Fly Fishing Film Tour movie.  I have my ticket for my local Trout Unlimited regional banquet on the evening of opening day.

And, after tying all those woolly buggers, I was ready to move on to Pheasant Tail nymphs, when I discovered I was out of brown thread.  So, I ordered some new thread - brown, black, white, gray and olive, in 6/0 and 8/0.  While I was spending money, I also got some new leaders and tippet material, plus a few flies and a few other fly tying materials.

In the next few weeks, I need to tie PTs, Hare's ears, Prince nymphs, and purple juju baetis flies.  Other than those, I think I'm set for the new season.

Well, I'm going to buy a few Kelly Galloup streamers for opening weekend.  Those are flies I've still never tried to tie, and I'm not going to get to them this year.

I am having some surgery on 2/13.  Last winter, I had similar surgery on 3/6, and I wasn't 100% by opening day.  With surgery being earlier this winter, I'm hoping I'll feel OK by opening day.  Given that I have the film on Friday night, fishing Saturday, a banquet Saturday night, fishing on Sunday, and then the awards BBQ after the tournament on Sunday, I better be feeling good, or I'll never keep up.

No comments:

Post a Comment