Thursday, March 30, 2017

Tying Season is winding down and fishing season approaches

It's only nine days until our opener here in VT.  It will probably still be weeks before I catch my first fish, but that won't stop me from getting out there.  Even the big storm due in tomorrow for the central part of the state (8"-12" of snow) will divert me to skiing this weekend, but next weekend is all about fishing.

I had my annual eye exam recently.  I usually rotate between 3 pairs of reading glasses (my distance vision stubbornly remains at 20/15 as my close vision continues to deteriorate), and I replace one pair per year.  One pair is for computer work - 18" or so from my eyes.  One pair is for books, phone, tablets, remote controls, etc. - closer to 12".  And then, I have my fishing glasses, which are designed for use at about 6" - perfect for tying flies and tying knots on the river.

This year, it was time to replace the fishing glasses.  I got them home earlier this week and looked at the flies I'd been tying.  I was amazed at the detail I could see in some of the flies - details that had eluded me while tying.  So, I'm glad to have these upgrades for the rest of my tying and fishing season.

Here are a few recent flies from the vise:


At the top are some Frenchies.  In the middle are two-tone Perdigon nymphs.  At the bottom are single color perdigon nymphs, designed mostly for cloudy, early season water.

I still want to tie some more Frenchies, including some with non-orange hot spots.  Plus, some without the collars.

And, some final juju baetis.  I'm hoping the new glasses will help me with that tiny little fly.  I am usually comfortable tying them down to a 16 or so, but I like to fish them in 18 or 20, so I need a little refinement.

Of course, these are all tiny flies.  The first fly that I cast this year is going to be much different.  I'm sure I'll start out the season with a Kelly Galloup pattern - probably a Sex Dungeon or a Circus Peanut.  But, if the water is clear enough, the flies above will get some action on opening day, along with some Navy Divers, San Juan Worms (shudder!), and maybe some woolly buggers.

Maybe this will even be the year where I ski and catch a trout on the same day.  That goal has remained elusive for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment