Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Gear

For years, I got by with just one rod and one reel.  The rod was a Fisher 9' 5-wt, and the reel a Ross Gunnison G-2.  Then, I added a Sage RPL+ in 1995 or so (also 9', 5-wt), and I just stopped buying equipment.  Well, I bought a lower end Sage rod (8-wt) and a Ross Cimarron reel in 1997 for salmon fishing in AK, but I haven't touched it in years now.  I think I need to pull it out to chase pike on Otter Creek though.

In the last few years, I've added some new gear.  My favorite set-up these days is a 4-wt. Hardy Zenith  with a Hatch Finatic Plus reel (my personal review here).  This year, I added an 8 foot, 4-wt Winston Passport rod for my son to fish in smaller streams, but he hasn't used it yet.  I've been enjoying it a lot though.

And, my Fisher rod broke opening weekend, so I'm currently in the market for a true 5-wt, either at 8'6" or 9'.  In reality, the Sage fishes best at a 5.5 or so - Rio GPX in a 5 wt is a good line for it.  I have a spare reel set up with a 6 wt. (Rio Gold) for when I fish that rod on big water.

So, my primary outfit is the 4-wt Hardy/Hatch set-up.  I have a spare spool for the Hatch with 5-wt Rio Perception line, but I haven't put it on the Sage yet.

My back-up set-ups include the Sage 5-wt and the Winston 4-wt.  The Ross reel and the Hatch reel are set up with 4 and 5 lines.  Then, I have on older Orvis reel with 6-wt line that I use with the Sage rod on occasion.

But, there's still a gap.  I need that true 5 wt.  I've been looking at a local VT company - Rock and River Rods - a great value rod that I've fished once.  But, our local fly fishing store is currently going out of business.  Everything is marked down there at least 20%.  Today, I'm going to cast some rods there and see if anything really grabs me.

I'd love to pick up one more reel during the close-out sale as well.  Something better than the Orvis Battenkill (not a bad reel at all, but not the smoothest drag release) that is currently third in my reel rotation.

But, the truth is, like most fly fishing gear junkies, I could probably take ten grand into that store during the closeout sale, and spend it all - rods, reels, line, fly tying materials, flies I don't tie myself, fly tying tools, a new pack, new waders for my wife, new wading boots for my wife, a wading staff, etc.

It's really a crazy sport.  I spend my winters teaching skiing and I always marvel at how many dollars I have invested in all the gear I wear/use on the mountain.  When I think about fly fishing, where I frequently have a rod and reel that costs more than a pair of skis with bindings, and I have six fly boxes with over 500 flies, and my vest and Brodin net and lanyard with tools, waders and boots, skiing almost seems cheap.

I guess it's true and the difference between men and boys being the price of their toys.

Assuming we don't get too much rain, I'm planning to fish the White, Mad, Winooski and New Haven (and maybe the Middlebury) this coming holiday weekend.  Best of luck to all my fishing friends out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment