Thursday, May 29, 2014

Getting ready for the weekend

This weekend is the White River Open Fly Fishing Tournament.  It's a first year event on the river that I fish most often.  It's not expensive either, so I had to enter.  I've been doing reasonably well on the White the past few weeks, so I'm confident I won't get skunked like I did in the Otter Creek Classic on opening weekend the past two years.

Work has been really busy this week, with a new customer getting started with my company.  This and trips to the gym and have prevented me from spending any time at the vise.

So, today at lunch, I went to the local shop and picked up some soft hackle PTs, and a variety of dries for our recent hatches - Quill Gordons, Cahills, and the fading Hendricksons.  Plus, BWOs will be showing up soon, so I got a few of those as well.  I don't get to fish dries very often here in VT, but the White River's hatches seem to finally be recovering from Hurricane Irene, so I'm hopeful I'll start taking more fish on dries this summer.

In the meantime, those soft hackle PTs will be my second fly in my tandem rig on Saturday.  My first fly will likely be one that I've found both smallmouth bass and rainbows like, and I'm planning to start on a section of river where I can find both.  That fly is one I'm going to need to tie myself, either tonight or tomorrow night.  I just have to find the time.  It's a variation on a classic fly, with the addition of some fluorescent orange chenille at the head, which the smallies seem to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment