Monday, April 18, 2016

Second weekend

I got out on the Third Branch of the White River this weekend.  I only fished Sunday, and it was a beautiful day.  Two of us fished a nice stretch of water for about 5 hours.  We didn't have a single strike between us.

I started with a big white streamer, stripping it through some big deep holes in the cold water (43F).  I then played around with woolly buggers of various colors and some stone and caddis nymphs.  I fished the flies in a dead drift, on the swing, and via stripping.  Nothing at all.  A neighbor, who fished a few miles upstream from where we fished got 2 fish during the day, so there are some willing fish in there.

Despite not catching anything, it was a good day - great weather, good water conditions, although a bit cold still, and hanging out with a friend.  The day reminded me very much that you can have fun while fly fishing without catching anything.  Sometimes, I get so focused on the result that I forget to simply enjoy being out there.  Yesterday was a day to just appreciate being on the water.

Five weeks ago, I was in the hospital in NYC.  Four weeks ago, my abdomen was still stapled together.  Every day, I'm getting stronger and I'm able to do more.

The fish will come.  As of right now, I have nothing at all planned for next weekend, although I am hoping to ski before Sugarbush closes for the season.  Other than that, I hope to fish.  The long term forecast doesn't look quite as nice as yesterday, but it doesn't look bad.

Oh yeah, while our fishing doesn't usually get productive until the first of May or so, I did see some midges, stone flies, caddis flies, a couple BWOs and a single March Brown yesterday.  The insects are on their way as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment