Friday, June 13, 2014

Weekend not looking good for fishing

I was hoping to fish on the White and Winooski this weekend.  One spot that is difficult to access on the White seemed like it was finally going to be safe to wade.  I had similar thoughts about a particular spot on the Winooski.  But, we've had more rain than forecast this week, and here are the current water flow graphs.  Both of these are downstream of where I fish normally, but they are good indicators of how the river flows will be in the middle stretches of each river:



Both of these graphs are taken from USGS web sites.  The top graph is where I've been fishing the past few weekends.  It's easy to see that the White's water level tends to be way less volatile than the Winooski, but neither is safe at the moment.  I fished the White two weekends ago in the fly fishing tournament, and the flows were in the 1500 cfs range.  I was unable to access the spot I had hoped to fish this weekend with those water flows, and wading was still tough at some other spots.  Last weekend, flows were closer to 900 cfs and the wading was much safer and the fishing had improved.  Once the rain stops, the river levels will drop quickly, but I doubt we'll see anything below 1500 cfs before the end of the weekend, with more rain due all day today.

For the Winooski, I like to see numbers in the 500-600 cfs range to feel I can wade safely at some of the spots I like to fish.  Again, that's not going to happen this weekend.

So, tomorrow may be a complete washout.  But tomorrow and Sunday will be dry, so the water levels will be dropping.  By Sunday, perhaps I can find some good fishing high in the watershed of some smaller rivers.  I have one in particular in mind - an unstocked river in northern Vermont with wild and willing rainbows.  I just have to decide if I want to drive that far.

If the rain was going to continue through the weekend, my choices would be easier.  I have had a lot of pheasant tail and hare's ear nymphs chewed up by fish the past two weekends, and I need to tie some more of each.  But, with nice weather for the weekend, I don't want to sit inside tying flies when I could be outside.  But, I suppose that's what the evenings are for.

No comments:

Post a Comment